Friday, September 1, 2017

DoMagic Public Summary of Research

So, I like monsters. Easy said, I like giant magical beasts, and feel a connection to them spiritually.

Paganfest has a spirit journey workshop, and I run into a really big snake. It tries to eat me (they always try to eat me), and I turn into a snake and give it a hug instead. So then this big snake starts showing me stuff- universes in tiny bubbles in the water, eventually searching through them to find the same oceans, the same bubbles, and then shattering barriers, size being relative.

So after that, I'm laying on big snake's back, and they ask me why I'm so resistant to the Norse Pantheon. I try to explain that I don't like a lot of what I was seeing in a lot of Norse religious text in the past.

Kinda sexist.
Anti-intellectual.
Occasionally co-opted by racists.
Loki, a transgender sorcerer using the power of his wits being "the devil".

But then I start talking to find out many of these things were misinterpretations created by Snorri's texts, and that things were less sexist, more trans friendly, and over all a lot less toxic masculine garbage. And well, Loki was one of the first and only gods I made contact with in my teenage years using a less than helpful book, so, I feel like it's been long enough to allow a reconnect.

Picked up the Neolithic Shamanism book thinking I'd just go through in order, give things a shot, but considering recent events, I want to specifically home in on Jormangundr as they sort of contacted me first, and reviewing some old magic journals, the big snake has been trying to contact me for some time. While I'll also be making offerings to Loki and other gods on occasion, developing a shamanistic relation with the World Serpent will be the aim of my 30 days. I'll keep looking up myths throughout the process as sources of inspiration and insight into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment